I’ve had a few emails and comments from readers asking what’s up next for 2013 – projects around the house, trips we’d like to take, new features for the blog, and much more. Twelve months out is a long time to predict and plan in any crazy amount of detail, but I’m happy to share my list of things I HOPE we’ll get to tackle in 2013!
In no particular order, the LIY 2013 Bucket List…
- Decorate the basement. We have begun the search for furniture and accent pieces to bring this level of the house together and give it a more “complete” status. While it’s fun to take our time thinking through this and pulling it together, it does weigh on my mind that the sooner we can do this, the sooner we can start enjoying all of our work down there!
- Tackle more organization projects. The coat closet, the new storage spaces in the basement, and my office closet are at the top of the list. Hoping to share some before and afters, and some favorite closet-organizing products, early on in the new year. January = organization for me!
- Officially launch a side business. I hope to be able to share with you all, before the year is over, a business that Page and I are working to build as an additional source of income. Things are still very much in the planning and paperwork stages, but twelve months is a long time to hopefully make some real progress!
- Unveil a garage project. Page has an awesome idea for creating more storage in our garage and making more room for himself to work out there (both on building projects and on cars). I’m sure he’ll give himself a little break to begin the year (plus, it’s ski season and that will come first for a while!) but maybe before the year is up, we can give you a tour of a garage, transformed.
- Finish the laundry room. This project got sidelined with everything basement-related, and there isn’t REALLY that much to do in there. But I plan to (finally!) post an “after” entry on the laundry room with some shelving added and some little details that make it a (slightly) more welcoming spot to spend time.
- Share plans we have for our master bathroom…and maybe actually start on them. It’s not on a basement-sized scale, but this will be a larger project, and one we’re considering hiring out as opposed to DIYing, so there’s additional costs to consider beyond just supplies and fixtures. Our master bath is anything but “master” – it’s perhaps the one large check mark against our house when it comes time to sell it. It’s no different from the hall bath, it’s relatively small, and only has a single vanity. I’m not sure we can change ALL of those issues, but we are already brainstorming ways to vastly improve what we can and give the bath a grander feel. When building, we had hit our limit in terms of upgrades to the floor plan we built, so we left this bath per the builder’s plan for the time being. It will be a few months at least on this one, but stay tuned. 🙂
- Drink more. Hehe. In all seriousness, have been wanting to do a little cocktail series forever – from sharing a great mixed drink recipe, to how to style it for a party (think fun stir sticks, festive glassware, and cute cocktail napkins). You know me…any excuse to party. 😉
- Open up space for blog sponsors. When 2012 began, this little blog had anywhere from 50-150 hits a day, most of whom were my own friends and family members. It’s been so exciting to watch things explode this year, and on any given day 3,000+ of you stop by, hundreds follow on facebook (I’m still in shock!), and even more on Pinterest. I plan to continue to grow the blog and aim to create the content you want to read about. Part of this also involves bringing in sponsors to advertise products and services relevant to LIY readers. Unlike when I first began blogging, the cost to keep this blog up and running is more than the few mere dollars per month I originally incurred. Increased traffic and more content equals more server space to pay for, and even with my “in” with my web guy, there are still costs involved with keeping the rights to lifeinyellow.com. I’m not trying to make my first million here; just trying to offset some costs so I can keep writing here about the things I love and reach more and more of you as I do it.
- Do a little housekeeping on the blog. In five years, you accumulate a LOT of content, and it has morphed beyond the way I originally organized it. To keep some order so you all can access it in a way that makes sense is a constantly evolving process. I’m planning to take a fresh pass at how I categorize and display various posts, and make it easier to find past content from months and years previous.
It definitely promises to be a busy and exciting year – both for us personally, and for Life In Yellow. Thank you to each and every one of you for supporting my little corner of cyberspace and taking time out of busy days to stop by and read! It has been an exciting year and I look forward to what 2013 has in store for all of us!